William Joseph Wright (26 October 1952 – 13 November 2021) was the eighth bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle in Australia. He was consecrated on 15 June 2011.
|Church||Sacred Heart Cathedral, Hamilton|
|In office||15 June 2011 – 15 September 2021|
|Ordination||20 August 1977|
|Consecration||15 June 2011|
by George Pell
|Birth name||William Joseph Wright|
|Born||26 October 1952|
Washington, DC, United States
|Died||13 November 2021 (aged 69)|
Maitland, New South Wales, Australia
Life and careerEdit
Wright was born on 26 October 1952 in Washington DC, shortly before his family returned to Australia. He went to school at St Aloysius' College in Sydney and Wimbledon College in London, England. His studies for the priesthood were at St Columba's College in Springwood and St Patrick's College in Manly. He later took his BA (Hons) at Sydney University. Wright was ordained a deacon in 1976 and to the priesthood in 1977.
As a priest, he served the parishes of Stanmore, Mount Druitt, Fairfield, Enmore, Dulwich Hill, Bonnyrigg, Moree, Sutherland and Liverpool. He was vice-rector of St Patrick's College in Manly (1985–1991) and assistant secretary to the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference in Canberra in 1995.
Wright was ordained as Bishop of Maitland-Newcastle on 15 June 2011. As a bishop, he served as the co-chair of the National Committee for Professional Standards. He served on the Truth Justice and Healing Council as well as several Australian bishops' commissions, including Church Ministry, Ecumenism and Inter-Religious Relations, Evangelization, Laity, and Ministry, and Social Justice, Mission and Service. He was also Chair of the Bishops Commission for Professional Standards and Safeguarding.
In September 2021, Wright submitted his resignation to Pope Francis due to illness with lung cancer. He died on 13 November 2021 at Maitland Hospital.
- "Bishop William Joseph Wright [Catholic-Hierarchy]". www.catholic-hierarchy.org.
- Dagwell, Todd (15 June 2011). "Catholic bishop ordained for Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle". The Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Kirkwood, Ian (16 September 2021). "Bishop Bill Wright retires after lung cancer confirmation". Newcastle Herald.
- "Bishop Bill Wright dies, aged 69". Newcastle Weekly. 13 November 2021. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Mark Coleridge". Twitter. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Death of Bishop Bill Wright". MNnews Today. 14 November 2021.
- Media related to William Joseph Wright at Wikimedia Commons