Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Warsaw
The Archdiocese of Warsaw is a Catholic ecclesiastical territory or diocese in Poland encompassing the Polish capital. It was erected on October 16, 1798. It was elevated to an Archdiocese on June 30, 1813.
Archiocese of Warsaw
|Area||3,350 km2 (1,290 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2014)|
1,425,000 ( 92.5%)
|Rite||Latin Rite (or Roman Rite)|
|Established||16 October 1798|
(As Diocese of Warszawa)30 June 1818
(Archdiocese of Warsaw)
|Cathedral||St. John's Cathedral, Warsaw|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Cardinal Kazimierz Nycz|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Piotr Jarecki|
|Website of the Archdiocese|
A Metropolitan See, its suffragan dioceses are the Roman Catholic Diocese of Płock and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Warszawa-Praga. According to the church's statistics, 30.4% of the dioceses population attended a church weekly in 2013. That is higher than a year earlier (29.8%) but church attendance may still be declining.
Archbishop of WarsawEdit
The current archbishop, Kazimierz Nycz, formerly Bishop of Koszalin-Kolobrzeg, Poland, was named on 3 March 2007. Following the abrupt resignation of Archbishop Stanisław Wielgus in January, Józef Cardinal Glemp had been named its Apostolic Administrator.
See List of bishops and archbishops of Warsaw for all ordinarily of this diocese, as well as auxiliary bishops.
- "The English Speaking Community of the Archdiocese of Warsaw".
- "Metropolitan Archdiocese of Warszawa".