Robert C. Wetenhall
Robert Carl "Bob" Wetenhall Sr. (February 14, 1935 – September 3, 2021) was an American businessman who owned the Montreal Alouettes Football Club of the Canadian Football League from 1997 through 2018.
Robert Carl Wetenhall
February 14, 1935
Rye, New York, U.S.
|Died|| (aged 86)|
Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.
|Occupation||Investment Banking, Founder of New York firm McConnel Wetenhall Inc.|
|Known for||Owner of the Montreal Alouettes Football Club|
Robert (Bob) Wetenhall was born on February 14, 1935 in Rye, New York. He graduated from Princeton University and became an investment banker, becoming a founding partner of McConnell Wetenhall Inc. When the American Football League and National Football League merged in the 1960s Wetenhall became a part owner of the Boston Patriots of the AFL and the New England Patriots of the NFL. In the 1970s Wetenhall became involved in a North American soccer team. In 1997 Wetenhall purchased the Montreal Alouettes Canadian Football League club. During his ownership the Alouettes played in eight Grey Cups during the 14 seasons between 1997 and 2010. In addition they won three championships in the 2002, 2009 and 2010 seasons. On May 31, 2019, Wetenhall, facing old age and worsening conditions both on-field (the team missed the playoffs four consecutive seasons) and off-field with worsening attendance and exponentially growing financial losses, surrendered ownership of the Alouettes to the league in hopes of finding a new owner.
He was granted an honorary Doctor of Laws degree by McGill University on November 23, 2011, in recognition of his work in the redevelopment of the Montreal Alouettes and the expansion of Percival Molson Memorial Stadium.
- Milton, Steve (January 19, 2006). "Evening the playing field CFL gets tough on teams". Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
- "How do the Alouettes Maintain High Level of Success?", Paul Hoogkamp, 2009-10-06, The Sports Network.
- Zurkowsky, Herb (September 9, 2016). "'We're not for sale,' Alouettes owner Robert Wetenhall says". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "Remembering the life of Robert Wetenhall 1935 - 2021". montrealgazette.remembering.ca.
- "Robert C. Wetenhall". CFLapedia. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Alouettes sold to the CFL". 3downnation.com. May 31, 2019. Retrieved October 13, 2019.
- "Bob Wetenhall receives honorary McGill University degree". Montreal Alouettes. November 23, 2011. Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Dickenson, Makowsky lead 2015 Hall of Fame class". TSN. November 28, 2014. Retrieved October 13, 2019.