Princess Marie Alix of Schaumburg-Lippe (Marie Alix zu Schaumburg-Lippe; 2 April 1923 – 1 November 2021) was Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein as the wife of Peter, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein from 1965 to 1980.
|Princess Marie Alix|
|Duchess of Schleswig-Holstein|
|Tenure||10 February 1965 – 30 September 1980|
|Born||Marie Alix zu Schaumburg-Lippe|
2 April 1923
Bückeburg, Schaumburg-Lippe, Germany
|Died||1 November 2021 (aged 98)|
Thumby, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
|Peter, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein|
|Issue||Princess Marita |
|House||House of Lippe|
|Father||Prince Stefan of Schaumburg-Lippe|
|Mother||Ingeborg Alix, Princess Stephan Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe|
Marie Alix was the only daughter of Prince Stefan of Schaumburg-Lippe and Ingeborg Alix, Princess Stephan Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe. She was the niece of Adolf II, the last ruler of the Principality of Schaumburg-Lippe who abdicated following the German Revolution of 1918–1919 and the Principality became the Free State of Schaumburg-Lippe. Marie Alix's younger brother, Prince Georg Moritz of Schaumburg-Lippe, was killed in a car accident in 1970 without marrying or having children.
Marriage and issueEdit
Alix Marie married Peter, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, third son of Wilhelm Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein and his wife Princess Marie Melita of Hohenlohe-Langenburg in Glücksburg on 9 October 1947. Peter and Marie Alix had four children:
- Princess Marita of Schleswig-Holstein (born 5 September 1948 in Schleswig), she married Wilfred Eberhard Manfred Baron von Plotho (born 1942) in 1975. They have two children.
- Christoph, Prince of Schleswig-Holstein (born 22 August 1949 in Eckernförde), he married Princess Elisabeth of Lippe-Weissenfeld (born 1957) in 1981. They have four children.
- Alexander, Prince of Schleswig-Holstein (born 9 July 1953 in Thumby), he married Barbara Fertsch (1961–2009) in 1994. They had two children.
- Princess Ingeborg of Schleswig-Holstein (born 9 July 1956 in Thumby), she married Nicolas Broschek (born 1942) in 1991. They have one child, a son.
Death and funeralEdit
Princess Marie Alix of Schaumburg-Lippe died in Thumby on 1 November 2021 at the age of 98.
- Huberty, Michel; Giraud, Alain; Magdelaine, F.; Magdelaine, B. (1994). L’Allemagne dynastique (in French). Le Perreux-sur-Marne: A. Giraud. ISBN 978-2-90113-807-5.
- Leonard, Seth B. (4 November 2021). "Adieu to a Doyenne of the Gotha: Duchess Marie-Alix of Schleswig-Holstein (1923-2021)". Eurohistory. Retrieved 9 November 2021.
- "Zum Tod von Marie Alix Herzogin zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg". Eckernförder Zeitung (in German). 2 November 2021. Retrieved 9 November 2021.