Ministry of Defense (Turkmenistan)
The Ministry of Defense of Turkmenistan (Turkmen: Türkmenistanyň Goranmak ministrligi) is a government agency under the Armed Forces of Turkmenistan which is the executive body in implementing defense policies in Turkmenistan. The current Minister of Defense is Major General Begench Gundogdyev. It was founded in January 1992 with the assistance of the Russian Armed Forces.
|Türkmenistanyň Goranmak ministrligi|
Министр обороны Тукменистан
Turkmen Defense Ministry
|Formed||January 27, 1992|
|Jurisdiction||President of Turkmenistan|
Government of Turkmenistan
|Headquarters||4 Galkynysh Street, Ashgabat, Turkmenistan|
|Parent department||State Committee of Defense of the Turkmen SSR|
|Website||Official Website (in Turkmen and Russian)|
At its formation, most of the ethnic Turkmen employees were retired Soviet officials and members of the Communist Party of the Turkmen SSR, with other officials coming from small backgrounds such as chief of staff Annamurat Soltanov who had served in Afghanistan and Begdzhan Niyazov who had a career in law enforcement prior to his rising to his position.
List of Ministers of DefenseEdit
|No.||Portrait||Minister of Defence||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Party||Ref|
|10 January 1992||17 September 1998||6 years, 250 days||Nonpartisan||–|
|17 September 1998||24 May 1999||249 days||Nonpartisan||–|
|24 May 1999||26 June 2001||2 years, 33 days||Nonpartisan||–|
|26 June 2001||14 March 2002||261 days||Nonpartisan||–|
|14 March 2002||19 September 2003||1 year, 189 days||Nonpartisan||–|
|6||General of the Army|
|19 September 2003||24 January 2009||5 years, 127 days||Nonpartisan|||
|24 January 2009||29 March 2011||2 years, 64 days||TDP|||
|29 March 2011||5 October 2015||4 years, 190 days||TDP|||
|5 October 2015||14 June 2018||2 years, 252 days||TDP||–|
|14 June 2018||Incumbent||3 years, 93 days||TDP||–|
Defense Ministry institutions, units and areasEdit
Sections of the defense ministry include some of the following institutions:
- Educational institutions
- Central House of Officers
- "Merdana nesiller" Ensmeble
- Military Museum named after Berdimuhamed Annayev
- Center for Emergency Management (opened in January 2011)
- Equestrian Complex of the Ministry of Defense (opened in 2012)
- Central Army Sports Club
- Various military training sites
- Milli goşun (newspaper)
- Youth Organization named after Magtymguly of the Ministry of Defense
House of OfficersEdit
Based on the Soviet model, the House of Officers (Turkmen: Merkezi serkerdeler öýüniň) is the main cultural center of the military designed to improve Civil–military relations. It is the equivalent to Military officers' clubs in the United States. Concerts of military ensembles such as the "Merdana nesiller" Ensemble, the Göreldeli Military Band and the "Sherhet Ovazlara" Ensemble of the State Border Service have performed at the House of Officers. The house hosts receptions on holidays such as Defender of the Fatherland Day and Independence Day. A special attraction of the House of Officers is the Museum of Military Glory, where numerous exhibits tell a history of Turkmen military history since the time of Oguz Khan. The building also has a stationary full-time professional television studio that prepares weekly television shows on the Altyn Asyr and Ovaz channels. It frequently hosts guests from the Military Institute and the military school.
The Defence Ministry issues its social and political magazine called Milli goşun (National Army) every quarter which has the information about the measures for strengthening of defensive capability of the country.
The defense ministry has the following command structure:
- General Staff
- General Directorate of Armaments
- General Mobilization Directorate
- General Directorate of Civil Defense and Rescue (Turkmen: Raýat goranmak we halas ediş baş müdirligi), it is the civil defense agency for Turkmenistan. It is similar to the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations. It conducts joint exercises in the territories of industrial enterprises with non-militarized rescue workers of the enterprises themselves, developing tactics in the event of various natural disasters and rescue operations.
- General Directorate of Supply and Logistics
- Educational Directorate
- Opening Pandora's Box: Ethnicity and Central Asian Militaries. ISBN 9781428912960.
- "Defense Ministers of Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan meet in Baku". Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- "In early 2009 Colonel Yaylym Berdiyev replaced General of the Army, Agageldi Mammetgeldiyev, who was allowed to retire for health reasons". GlobalSecurity.org.
- "Google Translate". translate.googleusercontent.com. Retrieved 2017-05-21.
- "Begench Gundogdyev appointed Minister of Defence of Turkmenistan | Turkmenistan.ru". www.turkmenistan.ru. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- "Военный институт: горячая пора". Новости Туркменистана. infoabad.com. 2013-01-27. Retrieved 2019-05-27.
- "Turkmenistan opens Emergency Management Center under Ministry of Defence | Turkmenistan.ru".
- goşun, Milli. "Watan goragçysynyň syrdaşy". Milli goşun (in Turkmen). Retrieved 2020-12-27.
- "Galkinis Kosesi (Ministry of Defence) Mechanical/Electrical Works - References - Visor Engineering Ltd".
- "Annual military exercise Galkan - 2007 held in Turkmenistan | Turkmenistan.ru". www.turkmenistan.ru. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- "Turkmenistan holds military-tactical exercise "Galkan-2011" | Turkmenistan.ru". www.turkmenistan.ru. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- "Большой концерт военных творческих коллективов состоялся в Ашхабаде | Культура".
- "Президент Туркменистана поздравил военнослужащих с Днем защитников Отечества | Политика".