The Mayor of Kolkata is the chief executive of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation, one of the civic authorities in the Indian city of Kolkata. He is the First Citizen of the city of Kolkata. There have been 38 mayors of Kolkata in total till now since first election in 1924.
|Mayor of Kolkata|
|Nominator||Directly elected by vote|
|Inaugural holder||Chittaranjan Das|
The first Kolkata Municipal Election was held on 16 April 1924, during the time of British India, under the Calcutta Municipal Act, 1923 - Bengal Act III of 1923. Mayors were elected on an annual basis. No corporation elections were held, therefore there was no mayor, from 1948 to 1952. In 1952 further mayors were appointed on an annual basis under the Calcutta Municipal Act, West Bengal Act XXXIII of 1951. There was another break in mayoral elections from 1972 to 1985, after which mayors were elected on a five year term under the Calcutta Municipal Corporation Act, 1980 West Bengal Act LIX of 1980.
List of mayorsEdit
|1||Chittaranjan Das||16 April 1924||17 July 1925||1 year, 92 days||Indian National Congress|
|2||Jatindra Mohan Sengupta||17 July 1925||4 February 1928||2 years, 202 days||Indian National Congress|
|3||Bijoy Kumar Basu||4 February 1928||10 April 1929||1 year, 65 days||Indian National Congress|
|(2)||Jatindra Mohan Sengupta||10 April 1929||22 August 1930||1 year, 134 days||Indian National Congress|
|4||Subhas Chandra Bose||22 August 1930||15 April 1931||236 days||Indian National Congress|
|5||Bidhan Chandra Roy||15 April 1931||9 April 1933||1 year, 359 days||Indian National Congress|
|6||Santosh Kumar Basu||9 April 1933||4 July 1934||1 year, 86 days||Indian National Congress|
|7||Nalini Ranjan Sarkar||4 July 1934||30 April 1935||300 days||Indian National Congress|
|8||Abul Kasem Fazlul Haque||30 April 1935||29 April 1936||365 days||Krishak Praja Party|
- Only lists initial election date if serving consecutive terms
- Pre-independence / British India
- There was a break in election of mayors after this term
- Post-independence under the Calcutta Municipal Act, West Bengal Act XXXIII of 1951
- Post-independence under the Calcutta Municipal Corporation Act, 1980 West Bengal Act LIX of 1980
- "Mayors of Kolkata". Kolkata Municipal Corporation. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Official Website of Kolkata Municipal Corporation".
- "Mayor of Calcutta Dead". The Indian Express. 2 March 1953. p. 3. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Firhad Hakim appointed as chairperson of board of administrators of KMC". ANI News. Retrieved 20 March 2021.
- "IAS Khalil Ahmed appointed administrator of Kolkata Municipal Corporation". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 24 March 2021.