Los golpes bajos
Los golpes bajos (The Low Blows) is a 1974 Argentine film directed by Mario Sábato. It is a film about boxing, inspired by José María Gatica. Shot in Eastmancolor, Sabato wrote the script in collaboration with Mario Mactas. The film stars Aldo Barbero, Héctor Alterio, Walter Vidarte and Ana María Picchio.
|Los golpes bajos|
|Directed by||Mario Sábato|
|Written by||Mario Sábato, Mario Mactas|
|Edited by||Antonio Ripoll|
|Music by||Eduardo Falú|
|4 February 1974|
The film premiered on 4 February 1974 in Buenos Aires. It is also known under the title De cara al asfalto.
Set in the early Peron era, this rise and fall of a boxer is visibly inspired by the biography of José María Gatica and his experiences.
Rómulo Berruti in Clarín stated that it was a film intended to be a review of the Peronist regime, using the drama of a boxer as a "pivot". El Mundo opined that it is a " film that loses by points… It feeds but it doesn't hit. It avoids but does not delve… more nostalgic than critical… immature, but with good intentions". Manrupe and Portela wrote: "Good reconstruction at times and some drama achieved". Luis Trelles Plazaola in his book South American Cinema/ Cine De America Del Sur: Dictionary of Film Makers describes Los golpes bajos as a "film of greater weight and thematic ambition".
- "Los golpes bajos" (in Spanish). Cinenacional.com. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Maranghello, César (2005). Breve historia del cine argentino (in Spanish). Celesa. p. 196. ISBN 978-84-7584-532-6.
- "Los golpes bajos". Cinenacional.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Manrupe, Raúl; Portela, María Alejandra (2001). Un diccionario de films argentinos (1930-1995) (in Spanish). Buenos Aires: Editorial Corregidor. p. 251. ISBN 950-05-0896-6.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Plazaola, Luis Trelles (1989). South American Cinema/ Cine De America Del Sur: Dictionary of Film Makers. La Editorial, UPR. p. 177. ISBN 9780847720118.