Leroy Sherrier Lewis
Leroy Sherrier Lewis (29 May 1945 – 13 September 2021) was a Costa Rican association football player and coach.
|Full name||Leroy Delano Sherrier Lewis|
|Date of birth||29 May 1945|
|Place of birth||Limón, Costa Rica|
|Date of death||13 September 2021(aged 76)|
|Place of death||Limón, Costa Rica|
|1971–1977||Uruguay de Coronado|
|1990–1993||Uruguay de Coronado|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
In his native country, he led his hometown team Limonense to their best performance in the top flight league, finishing as runners-up. He also found success in Belize, where he led the national team to their best result at the Copa Centroamericana, finishing four at the 2013 edition, thus qualifying to the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Belize's only participation at such tournament so far.
Lewis coached teams in Costa Rica and Belize, winning the national championships in Costa Rica and Belize with Guanacasteca (Segunda División de Costa Rica) and Belmopan Bandits (Belize Premier Football League) respectively. He also has coached Belize national football team on three occasions.
Lewis died on 13 September 2021 at his home after battling with prostate cancer.
- Jiménez, Luis (13 September 2021). "Fútbol nacional de luto: Leroy Lewis murió este lunes | Teletica". Teletica (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 September 2021.
- Arroyo, Franklin (14 September 2021). "Pupilos de Leroy Sherrier Lewis recuerdan al Limón que los puso en la historia". La Teja (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- Humes, Aaron (14 September 2021). "Coach Leroy Sherrier Lewis dies; 'forever a Jaguar,' declares Football Federation". Belize News and Opinion on www.breakingbelizenews.com. Retrieved 18 September 2021.
- "Leroy Sherrier Lewis returns". 5 October 2012.
- "Le Roy Lewis: 'En Costa Rica a esta edad a uno lo retiran'".
- Castillo, Luis Felipe (13 September 2021). "¡Lamentable! Fallece entrenador Leroy Lewis a los 76 años". AMPrensa.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 September 2021.