Valerie Joy Watson (21 February 1938 – 4 October 2021) was a New Zealand author of children's books, many of which were published by Scholastic Corporation. Many of Watson's tales were based on her husband Kevin. Watson had also written lyrics to school musicals and songs. She was the mother of writer/singer/musician Mary-anne Scott.
|Born||Valerie Joy Watson|
21 February 1938
Gisborne, New Zealand
|Died||4 October 2021 (aged 83)|
Havelock North, New Zealand
|Occupation||Author, school dental nurse|
|Education||St Mary's College, Wellington|
|Notable works||Grandpa's Slippers|
|Notable awards||Gaelyn Gordon Award|
New Zealand Post Award
Watson was born in Gisborne on 21 February 1938 to a farming family. Largely educated by correspondence, she later attended school at Waipukurau and St Mary's College, Wellington. Although her father left school at a young age, both of her parents were literate. After finishing school, she trained and worked as a dental nurse until she married at age twenty.
Watson's book Grandpa's Slippers became well-known and won a Gaelyn Gordon award in 1999. In 2015, Grandpa's Slippers was a fiction nomination for the Great Kiwi Classic and adapted into a stage show, and included in the Devonport-Takapuna Local Grants for 2017/2018. In 2012, Watson dedicated preschool story time to the community of Hastings for New Zealand Book Month.
- Pets (1988)
- Mouse In The House (1989)
- Grandpa's Slippers (1989)
- Grandpa's Cardigan (1993)
- No Porridge, Please (1994)
- Just In Case (1996)
- A Wet Day At School (1996)
- Foster Dog (1999)
- Highway Robbery (2000)
- The Birthday Flood (2001)
- Grandpa's Shorts (2001) - Children's Choice Award at the 2002 New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults
- Grandpa's Shed (2003)
- Zita the Zebra (2006)
- Grandpa's Cat (2006)
- Worms Squirm...and Other Poems (2007)
- "The private inspiration behind this iconic Kiwi book". Now To Love. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- "Mary-anne Scott".
- "Interview with Joy Watson". christchurchcitylibraries.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Joy Watson". storylines.org.nz. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Spell binders: How Juliette MacIver, Toby Morris, Mary-anne Scott and Lisala Halapua write their acclaimed children's books".
- Gaelyn Gordon: Tripswitch
- "The Great Kiwi Classic: On Sacred Cows and Literary Canons".
- Grandma McGarvey with Grandpa's Slippers
- "2017/2018 Devonport-Takapuna Local Grants, Round Two" (PDF).
- "New Zealand Book Month 2012 – get ready to turn the page!".
- "View Valerie WATSON's Notice on hawkesbaytoday.co.nz and share memories". www.legacy.com. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- "Joy Watson, beloved author of 'Grandpa's Slippers', has passed away". MINDFOOD. 7 October 2021. Retrieved 7 October 2021.
- Watson, Joy - bookcouncil