Jonah Lwanga also referred to as Metropolitan Jonah Lwanga (18 July 1945 – 5 September 2021) was an Ugandan prelate, who served as Archbishop of Kampala and Exarch of All Uganda in the Uganda Orthodox Church. Since 1997, he was also the Metropolitan of the Metropolis of Kampala and All Uganda, in Central Africa under the Eastern Orthodox Church of Alexandria, until his death in September 2021. His see was Kampala, with jurisdiction over all Uganda.
Background and educationEdit
Lwangawas born on 18 July 1945 in the village of Ddegeya in present-day Luweero district ,Uganda to Kezia Babitaka. Lwanga's grandfather, Obadiah Basajjakitalo, was one of the two initial leaders of the Orthodox Church in Uganda along with Ruben Spartas Mukasa.
From 1979 to 1981 he served as Secretary of the Orthodox Mission in Uganda.
Lwanga was ordained a deacon on 1 May 1981 and a year later, in 1982, he was ordained a priest.
After his ordination, Lwanga was appointed Dean at the Archbishop Makarios III Patriarchal Orthodox Seminary in Riruta, Nairobi, and taught theology. He was subsequently elevated to the status of Archimandrite in 1992. Shortly after, he was ordained the Vicar Bishop of Bukoba, Tanzania on 27 January 1992.
On 12 May 1997, Lwanga was transferred from the Bishopric of Bukoba, Tanzania, to Uganda as Metropolitan of Kampala and All Uganda after the death of Metropolitan Theodoros Nankyama ..
Inter Religious Council of UgandaEdit
Alongside Archbishop Livingstone Mpalanyi Nkoyoyo, Sheikh Shaban Mubajje and Cardinal Emmanuel Wamala.Lwanga was a co-founder of the Inter Religious Council of Uganda in 2002. At the time of his death, was a Member, Council of presidents, a position he had held since the time of the body's inception.
- "Archbishop of Uganda Orthodox Church, Jonah Lwanga, Passes Away". GreekReporter.com. 6 September 2021. Retrieved 11 September 2021.
- "Archbishop of Nairobi to organise Lwanga burial". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Biography of the Late Metropolitan Jonah Lwanga, the Archibishop of Uganda Orthodox Church (1945 – 2021)". Uganda Orthodox Church. 6 September 2021. Retrieved 11 September 2021.
- "Orthodox Christians mourn Metropolitan Lwanga". New Vision. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Natives Africans bishops in the Orthodox Church". grforafrica.blogspot.com (in Greek). Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "100-year journey of Orthodox Church in Uganda". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Return of Archbishop Jonah Lwanga's body delayed". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- Independent, The (14 September 2021). "Greek government delays return of Archbishop Lwanga's body". The Independent Uganda. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Archbishop Lwanga, a voice of reason, leaves a tall legacy". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- Admin. "IRCU Council of Presidents – Inter-Religious Council of Uganda". Retrieved 15 September 2021.