João Sayad (1 December 1945 – 5 September 2021) was a Brazilian economist, professor of the Department of Economics, Management and Accounting of the University of Sao Paulo and a Secretary of Finance for the state of Sao Paulo. He was awarded a PhD in economics by Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Sayad was also once president and chairman of the board of directors of the Inter-American Express Bank in São Paulo and director of the Economic Research Institute Foundation at the University of São Paulo.
|Born||1 December 1945|
|Died||5 September 2021 (aged 75)
São Paulo, Brazil
|Alma mater||Universidade de Sao Paulo, Yale University|
Sayad was described by the Brazilian magazine Época in an interview as an academic who holds eclectic views on politics and economics. He is known for his analyzing of the economic dispute between the Keynesians and the Monetarists, allegedly not taking a specific bias toward either side. Sayad has many times discussed and commented on the current political crisis surrounding Dilma Rousseff and the Workers' Party, along with its impact on the economy of the country. He has been described as a "skeptical" in regards to the promises alleged by the current Brazilian government and its capacity to manage the current state of the economy.
- João Sayad (12 June 2015). Dinheiro, dinheiro: Inflação, desemprego, crises financeiras e bancos. Portfolio-Penguin. ISBN 978-85-438-0374-6.
- Joao Sayad; Leandro Sarai; Danilo Dias Ticami. Revoluçao Das Moedas Digitais, A - Bitcoins E. Editora Revoar. ISBN 978-85-926450-0-7.
- "Most widely held works by João Sayad". WorldCat.
- "Ex-ministro e professor de economia João Sayad morre aos 75 anos em SP" (in Portuguese).
- Morre aos 75 anos o economista João Sayad (in Portuguese)
- "Brazil Names New Cabinet". New York Times."...João Sayad, 39, who obtained a doctorate in economics from Yale in the 1970s and was until recently Finance Secretary for São Paulo"
- "New Vice President for Planning and Administration appointed at IDB". Inter-American Development Bank...."Sayad is a citizen of Brazil with many years of experience in the fields of planning and finance in the public and private sectors...president and chairman of the board of directors of the Inter-American Express Bank in São Paulo and director of the Economic Research Institute Foundation at the University of São Paulo..."
- "The economist Joao Sayad is skeptical in relation to the current political sphere".(translated from portuguese)"...The 69 year old economist João Sayad, is an eclectic individual. Without any political affiliation, he has navigated through an array of different political currents...In his new book, Dinheiro, Dinheiro (Money, Money) (Ed.Portfolio Penguin), he has analyzed the endless economic dispute between the monetarists and the keynesians."
- Interview (in Portuguese) Economist João Sayad is skeptical in relation to the current political sphere