Shixwameni was a student leader of the Namibia National Students Organisation (Nanso) at the dawn of independence and was a SWAPO Youth League leader from 1987 to 1999 and a SWAPO Central Committee member from 1992 to 1997. Elected to Parliament in 1999 as a member of the party, he joined the opposition Congress of Democrats (CoD) in 2000 as their chief whip.
Shixwameni resigned from the Congress of Democrats in December 2007, along with 21 other members. He founded a new party, the All People's Party, as a split from the Congress of Democrats the next month. In October 2009, the APP selected him as the party's candidate for president.
He was married with two children, and resided in Windhoek.
Shixwameni died on 10 November 2021, after collapsing in parliament.
- Organization Details: All People's Party (APP)
- Veterans Act not inclusive and discriminates - Shixwameni Archived 5 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine. namibiansun.com, from 25 October 2012
- Shixwameni, 21 others quit CoD Archived 15 August 2007 at archive.today The Namibian, 17 December 2007
- Shixwameni won’t mind leaving. thevillager.com.na, from 1 May 2013
- Smith, Sonja (10 November 2021). "APP president dies". The Namibian. Retrieved 10 November 2021.