Homen D' Wai
Homen D' Wai (full name: Homendro Waikhom, 1970 – 10 July 2021) was an Indian film director, scriptwriter and lyricist from Imphal, Manipur. Dr. Yaima, Mittrang Keithel, Yaiskulgee Pakhang Angaoba, Dr. Hemogee Heloi and VDF Thasana were some of the famous movies he directed.
Homen D' Wai
|Died||10 July 2021(aged 50–51)|
|Occupation||Director, Scriptwriter, Lyricist|
|Spouse(s)||Waikhom Ongbi Ngangbi|
Homen D' Wai started his career in movies under the guidance of K. Ibohal Sharma. He worked as an assistant cinematographer in the 1993 Ibohal Sharma's directorial venture Sambal Wangma. Later, he went on to direct music videos which became hit song numbers of the time. The first feature film directed by him was Raja, a 2003 movie. His 2004 feature Dr. Yaima became a hit and ran at Friends' Talkies, Paona Bazar successfully for more than 100 days. His movies Mr. Lakhipyari (2005) and Mittrang Keithel (2006) had successful theatrical run in Friends' Talkies and Usha Cinema respectively for more than 50 days.
He also attempted to re-unite the Manipuris living in the state and Meiteis from states like Assam, Tripura through his films. These efforts could be seen in his movies like Nungshibi Ahing (2008) and Govindagee Sharik Makhol (2011). Yaiskulgee Pakhang Angaoba (2012) and Dr. Hemogee Heloi (2013) were films of Homen D' Wai which made records in the box office at a time when Manipuri cinema's popularity among the masses slowed down. His last directorial venture was Ei Actor Natte (2019). Most of his movies were flavoured with comic, humorous elements. But his versatility as a filmmaker could be seen in movies like Nungshibi Ahing (2008) and Kekoo Lotpee (2008). The blessing ceremony of a new movie Sendoidi Ahing Tumde with Homen D' Wai as the director was held in 2021 but he passed away even before the shooting could commence. He also had plans to make four other movies (Yaiskulgee Pakhang Angaoba 2, Dr. Hemogee Heloi 2, Khabei Chegap Dot Com and Phanekse Kanagino) which he had finished scripting.
Homen D' Wai received the Best Director and Best Feature Film awards at the 8th Manipur State Film Awards 2013 for his work in the movie Yaiskulgee Pakhang Angaoba. He also won the Best Lyricist award for a song in the movie VDF Thasana at the 9th Manipur State Film Awards 2014. His 2019 movie Ei Actor Natte won the Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment award at the 13th Manipur State Film Awards 2020. The citation for the award reads, "Most of the sequences of the film Ei Actor Natte provide amusement tickling the viewers in an emotional narrative promoting a moral health and invoicing the general interest of cine-goers. With this views, the film has been adjudged for the Award of the Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment, 2020".
|Quarter No. 16|
|2011||Govindagee Sharik Makhol|
|Highway 39 (Punshi Lambida)|
|2012||Yaiskulgee Pakhang Angaoba|
|2013||Dr. Hemogee Heloi|
|2015||Eidi Thamoi Pikhre|
|2019||Ei Actor Natte|
- "Manipuri filmmaker Homen D' Wai passes away". Imphal Free Press. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Homen D Wai Death :: Obituary – Dead :: Homen D Wai Cause of Death". www.topinfoguide.com. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- "Popular Manipuri filmmaker, Homen D'Wai succumbs to Covid related complications". southasiaviews.com. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- "CDGM condoles Homen D Wai's demise". themorningbell.in. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- "MSFDS MOURNS THE DEMISED OF SUPER-HIT FILMMAKER HOMEN D'WAI". e-pao.net. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Manipur: Super-hit film Yaiskul Pakhang Anago's creator Homen D'Wai dies of Covid19; MSFDS mourns his demise". nenow.in. Retrieved 12 July 2021.
- "Covid claims noted film maker". The Sangai Express. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "8th Manipur State Film Festival 2013 Awards :: December 24, 2013". e-pao.net. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "9th & 10th Manipur Film Awards presented". The People's Chronicle.
- "Highways of Life wins big at Manipur State Film Awards 2020". www.thesangaiexpress.com.