The following is a list of notable deaths in October 1991.
Entries for each day are listed alphabetically by surname. A typical entry lists information in the following sequence:
- Name, age, country of citizenship at birth, subsequent country of citizenship (if applicable), reason for notability, cause of death (if known), and reference.
- Willie Borsch, 61, American drag racer.
- Sergei Metreveli, 84, Georgian humanitarian.
- Vic Sluce, 63, Canadian ice hockey player.
- Victor Teterin, 68, Soviet artist.
- Arleigh Williams, 78, American football player and academic.
- Stu Williamson, 58, American jazz musician.
- Demetrios I of Constantinople, 77, Turkish Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople (since 1973).
- Roland Gööck, 68, German author.
- Jim Handby, 88, Australian footballer and politician.
- Peter Heyworth, 70, American-born British music critic and biographer, stroke.
- Max Cantor, 32, American journalist and actor (Dirty Dancing), heroin overdose.
- Fazle Haq, 63, Pakistani general and politician, assassinated.
- Roland St John, 76, Australian Anglican prelate.
- Jørgen Beck, 76, Danish actor.
- Kinder Lal, 77, Indian politician.
- Milan Milišić, 50, Yugoslav writer, shelling.
- Hope Portocarrero, 62, American-Nicaraguan socialite, First Lady of Nicaragua (1967–1972, 1974–1979), cancer.
- Sonia Rescalvo Zafra, 45, Spanish transgender woman, murdered.
- Igor Talkov, 34, Soviet singer, shot.
- Harry W. Brown, 70, American flying ace.
- Leo Durocher, 86, American baseball player.
- Natalia Ginzburg, 75, Italian writer and politician.
- Jorge Ángel Livraga Rizzi, 61, Argentine writer and philosopher.
- Victor Christgau, 97, American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1929–1933).
- Nickolaus Hirschl, 85, Austrian wrestler.
- Bob Morgan, 61, American football player.
- Gamble Rogers, 54, American musician, drowned.
- Gene Barth, 61, American football player.
- Harley Copp, 69, American car designer, stroke.
- Ron Ferrier, 77, English footballer.
- Redd Foxx, 68, American actor (Sanford and Son, The Redd Foxx Show), heart attack.
- Leon Wolff, 77, American historian.
- Sheila Florance, 75, Australian actress, lung cancer.
- Aline MacMahon, 92, American actress (Dragon Seed), pneumonia.
- Arkady Strugatsky, 66, Soviet science fiction author.
- Regis Toomey, 93, American actor.
- George August, 74, English cricketer.
- Owen Guyatt, 72, Australian footballer.
- Donald Houston, 67, Welsh actor, stroke.
- Daniel Oduber Quirós, 70, Costa Rican politician, president (1974–1978).
- Verda James, 90, Canadian-born American politician.
- Robert Pastene, 73, American actor.
- Ann C. Whitman, 83, American government official.
- Fedor Zinchenko, 89, Soviet army officer.
- Stanley Autler, 69, American physicist.
- Ole Beich, 36, Danish bassist (Guns N' Roses), drowned.
- Walter Buswell, 83, Canadian ice hockey player.
- William R. Collins, 78, American major general.
- Bert Delotto, 72, American politician.
- Lore Fischer, 80, German singer.
- George Hennard, 35, American mass murderer, suicide by gunshot.
- Giacomo Mari, 66, Italian footballer.
- Boris Papandopulo, 85, Croatian composer.
- J. G. Devlin, 84, Northern Irish actor.
- Tennessee Ernie Ford, 72, American singer ("Sixteen Tons", "The Shotgun Boogie"), liver failure.
- Władysław Giergiel, 74, Polish footballer.
- Piet van Est, 57, Dutch cyclist.
- Jorge Yarur Banna, 72, Chilean banker.
- Gunnar Sønstevold, 78, Norwegian composer.
- Walter Gericke, 83, German Luftwaffe officer.
- Gheorghe Pahonțu, 58, Romanian footballer.
- Howard Swearer, 59, American academic, cancer.
- Harold Tennyson, 4th Baron Tennyson, 72, British hereditary peer.
- Naum Ya. Vilenkin, 70, Soviet mathematician.
- Marcus Goodrich, 93, American screenwriter.
- Bobby Coombs, 83, American baseball player.
- Steven "Jesse" Bernstein, 40, American writer and performance artist, suicide by exsanguination.
- Robert Carlin, 90, Canadian politician.
- Hachiro Kasuga, 67, Japanese singer.
- Nelly Bell Knutsen, 86, Norwegian politician.
- Jonathan Uhry Newman, 64, American judge, leukemia.
- Gene Roddenberry, 70, American television producer (Star Trek), cardiac arrest.
- Vilko Ukmar, 86, Slovenian composer.
- Khigh Dhiegh, 81, American actor.
- Bill Graham, 60, German-American impresario, helicopter crash.
- Walter Stude, 77, American field hockey player.
- Henry Wilson Allen, 79, American writer and screenwriter.
- George Barker, 78, English poet.
- R Adams Cowley, 74, American surgeon.
- P. J. Gallagher, 76, American politician.
- Howard Kingsbury, 87, American Olympic rower (1924).
- Andrzej Panufnik, 77, Polish composer.
- Sylvia Fine, 78, American composer, emphysema.
- William J. Nuss, 77, American politician.
- Akram Ojjeh, 73, Syrian-born Saudi businessman.
- George Treweek, 86, Australian rugby player.
- Donald Churchill, 60, English actor and playwright, heart attack.
- Jimmie Coker, 55, American baseball player, heart attack.
- Roena Muckelroy Savage, 86, American singer.
- Hikmat Muradov, 22, Azerbaijani soldier, killed in battle.
- Sir Nigel Poett, 84, British army officer.
- Mario Scelba, 90, Italian politician, prime minister (1954–1955), president of the European Parliament (1969–1971), thrombosis.
- Johan Støa, 91, Norwegian multi-sportsman.