Carlo Maria Mariani (25 July 1931 – 20 November 2021) was an Italian painter.
Carlo Maria Mariani
|Died||19 November 2021 (aged 90)|
New York City, NY
His paintings are rooted both in neoclassicist theory and modernism. In the 1970s he defended his choice of medium from attacks by art critics by making parallels between the melancholy for the past of neoclassicism and the then trendy conceptual art. He received international attention in the 1980s with what was called pittura colta ("cultivated painting") and la Nuova Maniera ("The New Style") in Italy, in which he employed old subjects and styles. Among other things he depicted Andy Warhol as Napoleon and made "improved" and "corrected" versions of works by Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael.
In the United States his works were called postmodernism; the American art critic Hal Foster made a distinction between postmodernisms rooted in "reaction" and "resistance", and placed Mariani with his shameless use of "worn-out" styles in the former category. William Wilson of the Los Angeles Times described a Mariani exhibition in Los Angeles in 1992 as "an extraordinarily complex, beautifully executed attempt to make classical drawing and painting meaningful again."
- "Addio Carlo Maria Mariani, e esponente della "pittura Colta": aveva 90 anni". La Stampa (in Italian). 21 November 2021. Retrieved 21 November 2021.
- Staples, Max (2000). "Mariani, Carlo Maria". In Moliterno, Gino (ed.). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture. London; New York: Routledge. p. 501–502. ISBN 0-203-44025-0.
- Woods, Tim (1999). Beginning Postmodernism. Manchester: Manchester University Press. p. 131. ISBN 0-7190-5210-6.
- Wilson, William (7 March 1992). "Art Review: The Classical Musings of Carlo Maria Mariani". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Ebony, David (2003). Carlo Maria Mariani. Offenbach: Edition Volker Huber. ISBN 978-3-92178-5-805.
- Lane, Carol, ed. (2011). Carlo Maria Mariani in the Twenty-First Century. Milano: Skira. ISBN 978-8-85721-0-544.
- Termine, Emanuela (2021). Carlo Maria Mariani. Complete works. Catalogo generale delle opere. Torino: Allemandi. ISBN 978-8-84222-4-600