Baltimore County Executive
The Baltimore County Executive is the highest elected official representing the Government of Baltimore County, Maryland, United States. The office was established with the implementation of the County Charter for Baltimore County on November 6, 1956. The County Executive is elected to post every four years, coinciding with the elections for the County Council and Governor of Maryland.
|County Executive of Baltimore County, Maryland|
|Formation||December 6, 1956|
|First holder||Michael J. Birmingham|
The current Baltimore County Executive is Johnny A. Olzewski Jr. Two famous Baltimore County Executives have later achieved prominence after leaving office: Spiro T. Agnew, who went on to become Governor of Maryland and Vice President of the United States under Richard Nixon, resigned in 1973 due to scandal while serving this office; and Dutch Ruppersberger, who currently represents the 2nd congressional district of Maryland in the United States House of Representatives.
List of Baltimore County ExecutivesEdit
|Name||Took office||Left office||Party|
|1||Michael J. Birmingham||1956||1958||Democratic|
|2||Christian H. Kahl||1958||1962||Democratic|
|3||Spiro T. Agnew||1962||1966||Republican|
|4||N. Dale Anderson||1966||1974||Democratic|
|5||Frederick L. Dewberry (Acting)1||1974||1974||Democratic|
|6||Theodore G. "Ted" Venetoulis||1974||1978||Democratic|
|7||Donald P. Hutchinson||1978||1986||Democratic|
|8||Dennis F. Rasmussen||1986||1990||Democratic|
|9||Roger B. Hayden||1990||1994||Republican|
|10||C.A. "Dutch" Ruppersberger, III||1994||2002||Democratic|
|11||James T. Smith, Jr.||2002||2010||Democratic|
|12||Kevin B. Kamenetz||2010||2018||Democratic|
|Frederick J. Homan (Acting)2||2018||2018||Democratic|
|13||Donald I. Mohler, III (ad interim)3||2018||2018||Democratic|
|14||John A. "Johnny O" Olszewski, Jr.||2018||Incumbent||Democratic|
- "Charter: Charter of Baltimore County, Maryland". Municode Library. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- "Baltimore County, Maryland: Executive Branch". Maryland Manual On-Line. November 23, 2020. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- "Official 2018 Gubernatorial General Election results for Baltimore County". Maryland State Board of Elections. December 11, 2018. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- "Spiro Agnew: vice president of the United States". Encyclopaedia Britannica. November 5, 2020. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- "Dutch Ruppersberger". Ballotpedia. Retrieved December 10, 2020.
- "Baltimore County, Maryland: Executive Branch: County Executives". Maryland Manual On-Line. Retrieved 20 October 2020.